Baking with Apples -
Last fall I went to visit the Beloit’s Farmers Market. I went in search of something to cook or bake with and decided on the fall favorite: apples. There were lots of great varieties to choose from but I decided to buy several Cortland apples which are good for baking. I attempted to make apple empanadas but that did not work out for me. I then decided to make an apple pie which came out much better.
I chose a simple recipe that I got from my aunt. I had not baked in a while but it tasted great because the apples were full of flavor. My overall experience was great. The market was full of great items like honey, jams, and flowers. It was a fun way to use my morning.
Recipe: 9” Apple Pie
I decided to use ready-made pie crust but any recipe for crust you like is fine.
Depending on the apple size I only used 2 Cortland apples
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 egg mix with a little water to glaze top of pie
9” pie pan
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut apples into wedges, put in a bowl and mix the cinnamon and sugar into the bowl of apple wedges.
3. Put the pie crust in the pan
4. Fill pie with seasoned apples cover pie
5. Glaze the top and sprinkle sugar on it. Puncture holes on top. Then put in oven.
6. When ready let cool and enjoy!!